Research & Development opportunities
At R&D we work with state of the art technologies in a working environment that rewards skill, responsibility taking, learning and helpfulness. We’re growing and looking to expand most of our teams.
Agama Technologies is a close knit, innovative company that works within the data and the TV domain. We help video operators understand their customers and operations, get new insights and improve by making correct decisions based on data. Our powerful infrastructure and stunning data applications make this possible. We build our products using the latest technologies from the world of big data, analytics, web applications and visualization.
Users of our products are technical operations, devops teams and data analysts at TV operators all over the world.
What are we looking for?
We’re doing well and looking to expand in all areas. Are you a skilled engineer looking for a new challenge? Or freshly graduated and have a strong personal interest in some of our core technologies and programming? If so, apply to us!
We are looking for engineers with strong interest/skill in one of our core areas:
- Data applications
- Web UI & visualization
- Analytics and machine learning
- Video codecs
We are also looking for:
- Principal engineer / Software architect
Read more about the positions below.
If you are interested in any of these positions or want some more information, please contact Aner Gusic.
If you are looking for a summer job or a master thesis project, please visit our student career pages.
What we offer
A chance to work with a team of like minded, skilled engineers that you can rely on and learn a great deal from.
Actual work is our first priority. You’ll work in a place where we put our resources on learning, building skill and making great products for our customers.
Work is not everything in our life. We almost never work overtime and we do not encourage working off hours.
You’ll work with latest technologies in the areas of big data, visualization, analytics and distributed systems – tightly coupled with the TV domain.
You’ll work for a small, innovative and profitable company with an ambition to grow and to create opportunities, both for our customers and for ourselves.
What do we appreciate?
We all come from a strong technical background (not only at R&D), so logical, analytical thinking is greatly appreciated. This manifests often in an scientific approach to solving problems, being able to entertain multiple views for the sake of discussion and being able to have your ideas questioned constantly in search of the best solution.
It goes almost without saying, we like our non-political working environment with a focus on learning and building great products.
While we do not have an official set of cultural values, these are the things that we really appreciate:
An Analytical Mindset
- On important matters, you never guess. You want to understand.
- You can distinguish between what is important to spend time on, and what can be improved or defined later.
- You have a deliberate, analytical approach to making decisions. When an important decision is made, it’s easy for you to explain the reasoning behind the decision to your colleagues.
Skilled at Communication
- You express yourself in an accurate and concise way on matters of engineering. Your peers tend to understand and it is easy to engage in discussions.
- You have a thing for putting thoughts in writing and sharing with others to test your ideas and reasoning.
- You build trustful relations with your co-workers by skilfully communicating how you reason & solve problems, and by being a reliable performer that others can lean on.
- You are or have a strong desire to become very good at what you do.
- Your interest in programming and technology is not just a job for you.
- You have a scientific approach to solving problems: experimenting, removing uncertainty and risk, logically building your case before making a solution.
- You make your work and your reasoning continuously available to others for scrutiny and to spark discussion.
- You can objectively discuss and kill your ideas or work if it doesn’t meet the bar.
- You’re humble, open and can handle ambiguity and uncertainty.
Strong Desire to Make Impact
- You work hard on reducing complexity, as complexity is the enemy no 1 of progress and growth.
- You hate wasting time on things that will never fly. The earlier a bad idea is killed the better.
- Your preferred way of working is making lean solutions and putting them in field quickly to gain more understanding of the problem. Reaching customers quickly with a partial solution is preferred to giving them the full solution the first time.
We’re not always great at all of this, but we try to improve at every opportunity we get.
What to expect in the recruiting process
- We want to get to know you so you’ll meet with quite a few of us
- We’ll do our due diligence on your background and skills
- We’ll give everyone an equal chance at the job
All to make sure you’ll fit in and enjoy working with us.
Also, we don’t hire for roles that you’ll “grow into over time”, but for the roles that you can do well as soon as you get to know our domain. When you’re excellent at what you’re doing, there will be room for trying out something new.
We don’t invent positions and we have a very flat development organisation. With us you can be an engineer or principal engineer/software architect. These are different roles, not only a difference in skill.
Engineer – data applications
Build, maintain and improve applications that solve real customer problems. Being skilled in building data applications rests on three skills:
- Building interactive, visual, modern web UI:s
- True understanding of the data that you’re using to build the application
- Understanding of the problem you’re trying to solve from a user perspective
An application engineer must enjoy working close to the product management and the users to truly understand the problems our applications aim to solve. It is in this tight loop and through an iterative process that an application can be improved to present the information in an intuitive way, better integrate with TV-operators processes and remain lean over time.
This job is for engineers that enjoy solving problems that directly relate to the needs of the customers; for those who enjoy building visual, useful, good-looking UI:s in tight cooperation with the stakeholders.
Engineer – web UI & visualization
This is a position where you’ll specialize in building great looking UI:s and be an expert at user experience. Building interactive, visual, modern web UI:s is your core skill – just as for the data application engineer.
You’ll also venture into the core of our application platform and the tools we use to build applications, extending or improving the set of modules available for the application builders. You might also research new visualizations or web components to understand if they are applicable to our web platform.
As a specialist on web UI and visualization, your primary contacts will be the technical leaders at R&D and other engineers working on building our data applications.
Engineer – analytics and machine learning
Our customers collect great amounts of data. Working as analytics engineer at Agama will make you an expert on using that data to answer questions that our customers are asking, also those that go beyond our current application suite. This work may spark ideas for new applications or services that we may build in future.
Currently, our applications make it easy to filter, slice and dice the data and leave most of the cognitive work to the users. As most of the data is regular and follows specific patterns it is very interesting to look into the area of machine learning to aid users in making the right choices when working with the data. You could be the one that propels us in this area by leading from the trenches.
Engineer – video codecs
Our Analyzer product suite is designed to analyze the TV services all the way down to the content-level, and produce high-quality data for our applications to rely on. As an engineer working with the codecs and the Analyzer products, you’ll become an expert in TV standards, protocols and monitoring. You’ll also become an expert at the Analyzer that in itself has quite an extensive feature list and user interface.
You’ll work tightly with technical leaders at R&D and at other occasions with the product management. Looking forward, we’re going into the cloud! Adapting the Analyzer products to virtualized environments and the cloud has just started, so join us now and make an impact!
Principal engineer / software architect
Principal engineers are the drivers of technical work at Agama. In this position, you’ll be at the center of the R&D, guiding the evolution of our products years ahead. The mission is broad, and over time you’ll do work within all of these areas:
- Plan and work together with the product management to set roadmaps and answer questions
- Help and be a discussion partner for both junior and seasoned engineers that need help
- Be responsible for a product or products from a technical perspective (as opposed to the commercial perspective)
- Lead and oversee engineering projects, mostly within your area of responsibility
- Be responsible for and work actively with our system and product architecture
How to succeed at the mission
You’ve walked the walk before and would like to do the same trip again with a new set of products at Agama. In projects, you walk along with your team but you are the experienced engineer who can guide and help others when the road gets rocky.
You can express complex abstract thoughts clearly and concisely, both in speech and writing. As a leader and a bridge between product management and engineering, effective communication is a must have.
Technical leadership and management become a part of the job as soon as you’re responsible for more than your own work. You have some experience and understanding in leading technical work and thus people. You might not be very experienced, but you do not shy away from this aspect of the job.